With your resume, cover letter and portfolio in hand, you are ready for your employment interview. Here are some tips for doing your best in preparing for interviews with prospective employers:
The interviewer is interested in the following: (1) Can you get the job done? (2) Are you motivated to solve his problems? (3) Will you fit in with the organization? Prepare yourself for questions prior to the interview. You must be able to express your qualifications, strengths, and interest for the position and be knowledgeable regarding the interviewer's organization.
What Interviewers Wish they Could Tell Every Job Candidate. There are a few things interviewers would like to tell job candidates well before the interview starts.
Behavioral Questions: Most employers are asking behavioral questions to prospective employees. This guide will provide examples showing how to answer behavioral questions.
Interview Tips. (TheCareerCoach).
Top 10 Skills for Job Candidates:
What makes an ideal job candidate? Of course, top candidates need to have the requisite major and GOA, and relevant work experience, but it's their soft skills that make them ideal.
In terms of the skills that differentiate candidates, employers responding to NACE's Job Outlook 2013 say they want good communicators who can make decisions and solve problems while working effectively as part of a team.
Following are the top-10 skills and qualities employers seek in their job candidates:
- Ability to verbally communicate with persons inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work in a team structure.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work.
- Ability to obtain, and process information.
- Ability to analyze quantitative data.
- Technical knowledge related to the job.
- Proficiency with computer software programs.
- Ability to create and/or edit written reports.
- Ability to sell or influence others.
Source: Job Outlook 2014, National Association of Colleges and Employers.
It is important to practice these interviewing skills. You can practice these skills with Big Interview.
It's important to know the trends in your field so you can present a common salary range and benefits to the employer. You can find salary information at salary.com.