Centennial Calendar of Events
- Launch #1 Centennial Service Challenge SGA
- General Assembly Recognition with Resolutions
- January 9 Richmond Forum with Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea
- January 28 - Library of Virginia Reception
- February 1-6 --Communication Week, School of Communication Let’s start talking about the next 100 years
- February 11 - General Assembly Advocacy Day
- February 19 & 20-RU’s Centennial Homecoming Celebration
For a full list of events, please visit the Homecoming Web site
- February 21- Gospel Sing and Commemoration
Time: 3 p.m.
Location: Peters Hall
The event celebrates the African American influence on and around campus through the years. The old Lutheran Church on Fairfax Street was the home to Lovely Mount/First Baptist Church for over 60 years until the land was purchased for expansion of Peters Hall. No charge. Sponsored by: Community Centennial Committee, African American Heritage Task Force. To learn more, call (540) 831-5765.
- February 25 -- Centennial Reception, The Advisory Council of the College of Business and Economics
- March 24 - Centennial Charter Day:
- Charter Day Celebration
11 a.m., the Dedmon Center
Special Guests and Speakers Include:
The Honorable Robert F. McDonnell, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia
Blake Mycoskie, TOMS Shoes
Citation to Boy Scouts of America (BSA)- 100 in 2010.
- Birthday Party
12:30 p.m., The Dedmon Center
- Seminar/lecture Blake Mycoskie, TOMS Shoes
2:00 - 2:50, Bonnie Auditorium
- Seminar -- Dr. Mary Ferrari, Associate Professor of History -- “1910: The Politics Behind the Creation of Radford University”
2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Hurlburt 249/250
- Photos and conversation with Blake Mycoskie, TOMS Shoes
2:50 - 3:30 p.m., Bonnie Auditorium
Location: The Bonnie Hurlburt Student Center Patio
- 4 - 6:00 p.m.,Heth Room 043
The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) hosts “Applications of Emotional Intelligence in Schools and Communities,” presented by community teachers and counselors.
- 6 - 7:00 p.m., Covington Foyer
CEHD invites you to a reception for Linda Lantieri, M.A., a Fulbright Scholar and internationally known expert in social and emotional learning, conflict resolution, intergroup relations and crisis intervention.
- 7 - 8:30 p.m., Covington Performance Hall
Scholarly lecture by Linda Lantieri: “Educating the Heart: The Concepts and Skills of Emotional Intelligence”
- 8 p.m., Pridemore Playhouse, Porterfield Hall
“Baby,” presented by the College of Visual and Performing Arts
Admission is $8 for the general public, $5 for RU faculty and staff, free with RU student I.D., and $5 for seniors 55 and over and groups of 10 or more.
- “100 Years of Design and Style." An exhibition prepared by the Department of Interior Design & Fashion. All day, Covington Center Art Gallery.
- March 30 -- Presentation by Professor Samuel Walker on "100 Years of American Presidents and Civil Rights." Bonnie Auditorium, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
- April 13 - McGlothlin Celebration of Teaching
- May 6 - Groundbreaking for New COBE Signature Building
Location: Corner of Jefferson Street and Tyler Avenue
- May 8 - Spring Commencement Ceremonies
- May 13 - Centennial Reception, The Advisory Council of the College of Business and Economics
Location: Northern Virginia
- Faculty/Staff Picnic Recognition of Retired Staff
- June 11 & 12 -- 50th Reunion for the Class of 1960
Includes the alumni class as well as all former 50th year reunion attendees
- July 4 -
Celebration with City of Radford
- August 26 - Faculty/Staff Convocation and Centennial “Birthday Party”
- September 10 through March 20, 2011 - Thinking Postmodern: Selections from the Radford University Art Museum
William King Museum • The Legard and United Company Galleries, Abingdon VA
- October 1-2 - Radford Highlanders Festival Weekend
Release of Staff Centennial Cookbook
- October 7 - 9 - 60th Annual Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference
- November 3 - BB&T Global Capitalism Speaker Series welcomes Mr. John A. Allison, Distinguished Professor Practice at Wake Forest University and Retired Chairman and CEO, BB&T
- November 3 - Interdisciplinary Ethics Panel Presentation, 7-9 p.m.
Sponsored by the Department of Criminal Justice
Panelists will be discussing the role of Radford University at 100 years old in giving people the power to think, to figure out what’s wrong, and then to have the courage to act.
Panel participants: Lucy Edwards Hochstein-Department of Criminal Justice, Kereen Mullenbach- School of Nursing, Joseph Staniunas- School of Communication, Daniel Davidson and Helen Roybark- Department of Accounting, Finance, and Business Law and Glen T. Martin- Department of Philosophy.
- November 10 - Blood Drive in Muse Banquet Hall, noon - 6 p.m.
- December 18 - Winter Commencement